Monday, March 23, 2009

11th Week Update - Miles Neighborhood Food Collection Project

Hi Folks,

Division of labor is a good thing especially when trying to increase Community Food Bank donations. Barbara Farragut and Lenny Cota-Robles collected food on 12th Street where they live right after the game. Barbara told me neighbors were waiting for her and Lenny and had bunches of food to donate.

At about the same time Kym Fuhrig who lives on 13th Street was learning that route. At the end of the day the four of us together collected a record amount of food and produce. All toll we had 144 lbs. of food, 92 lbs. of fruit (produce), 4 lbs. of canned pet food, $15 in cash and a $10 check. That's 240 lbs; our best ever.

Even Friendlier Neighbors
Barbara and I talked today and she said that when the neighbors really know the person doing the food collection they tend to give more food. This makes a lot of sense so as we go forward if I can find neighbors who are willing to take on their "neck of the woods" -- like Lenny, Barbara and Kym -- after I start things off, then our neighbors' weekly commitment and involvement in donating to the Community Food Bank will be greater.

Other Ideas
Angela Walz on 13th Street has another great way to increase donations. She set up a box at work with a sign that tells her co-workers she is collecting for the Community Food Bank. In a week or so the box fills up and she puts it out Sunday with her donation. I saw the results two Sundays ago and was really amazed at the amount I was picking up. Then her husband Stefan told me what was up. I like surprises. If you think of other ideas, please let me know and I will be sure to pass them on.

Grant Money
On Sunday night I got an email from Pauline Hechler, Vice President of Development at the Community Food Bank. She told me Carolyn Owens, their Senior Grantwriter found a small grant offered by the Quaker Oats Company that is intended to reward innovative community service projects focusing on eliminating hunger. It's just $500 but it will go a long way in helping us buy our own One Can A Week Food Donation Program golf cart. Quaker said they will notify winners by March 31st.

See you next Sunday.

Peter

No comments:

Post a Comment