Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Sixth Week Update - Miles Neighborhood Weekly Food Collection Project

February 17, 2009

Hi Folks,

I noticed two things during this past Sunday's food collection rounds: Most of our neighbors donated one can of food--which is our goal--and the quality of the food was super. I think it is wonderful that everyone is thinking about the families who will eventually use this food and how important it is for them to eat a balanced diet.

To date I have covered almost one half of the neighborhood and the total weight last Sunday was 54 lbs. In the next three weeks I will get around to everyone which means the weekly donation should be around 100 lbs. Our Miles Neighborhood is not very big but that amount of food is impressive.

One of our neighbors on 12th Street I talked to Sunday said she does a lot of community service work at TEP where she works. Even with her other commitments, she is going to participate in our "one can of food a week" program and will also talk to her people at TEP to see if they would be interested in starting this food donation program in their neighborhoods. I can tell you, that news perked me up a bit.

The Miles Neighborhood Association meeting is tomorrow night at 6:30 pm. Our food donation program is on the agenda so I hope to see you there. Also, I will talk about a publicity campaign which I just initiated. Weekly food donations to the Community Food Bank is a great community service story and Miles is leading the way. In fact, Ernesto Portillo, Jr. of the Arizona Star is going to write about the Miles Neighborhood's "one can of food a week" program in an upcoming column.

Talk to you soon.

Peter

PS. The Community Food Bank was closed on Monday for the holiday so I delivered the food today which delayed this report on day.

No comments:

Post a Comment