Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Eighth Week Update - Miles Neighborhood Weekly Food Collection Project

March 2, 2009

Hi Folks,

I thought about the summer heat that is around the corner but Ernesto Portillo was the one who brought it into focus. "Will I still collect food in the summer months?" he asked. Thanks to my friend Mary Romaniello who lives in the Sam Hughes Neighborhood the answer is "positively!" A week ago Mary and I were talking about the Sunday food drive and she called me a few days later to offer me her golf cart for a few hours on Sunday. I can tell you, that golf cart really beats the heck out of a 60 lb. hand truck.

Sunday I collected 154 lbs. of food plus a $20 check. The food was another record, 48 pounds over last week... and the money is always a treat. The Community Food Bank can buy lots of food with money and a check is not too heavy to carry around.

For your information, 154 lbs. fills up the recycle bin on the cart twice with a little overflow riding on the passenger seat. On other days of the week, if you see Mary riding around the university or Sam Hughes be sure to wave. She usually has her salt and pepper pooch riding next to her, his ears flapping in the breeze. Also, there is a funny bumper sticker on the back that reads, "Dog is my co-pilot."

I had collected food from about 7 porches or walkways when I met my first neighbor. He asked me if I had seen the Sunday paper...Ernesto Portillo's article was in it. This was a pleasant surprise. I was expecting it to be published Thursday but Sunday is better because the circulation is higher. I talked to other neighbors about the article and they all agreed Ernesto did a terrific job. Many showed me the article and mentioned the photo. Ernesto took the picture also. I said, "Look at that. A pretty young lady and an old guy who needs a haircut." A few laughed too hardily I thought.

If you haven't seen the article yet, just click on the link below.
http://www.azstarnet.com/allheadlines/282312.php

Kym on 13th Street put a note in her food donation bag volunteering to help. This is great...anyone who wants to help in other ways in addition to donating food is terrific. I'm sure everyone knows the process so just think of what would be comfortable for you to handle and give me a call. Kym's wants to collect from her neighbors on her street.

Lenny on 12th Street stopped me and asked if his daughter Marta in Texas could use our program to collect food in her neighborhood. On Sunday Marta sent me an email and I forwarded all of the information including the Thank You and Sorry We Missed You cards. If you have friends or relatives in other parts of Tucson or other cities, I will be happy to send them all of the documents, too. The more people helping people, the better.

See you next Sunday.

Peter

No comments:

Post a Comment