Wednesday, January 22, 2014

263rd Week Update - Miles Neighborhood One Can A Week Project

Hi Folks,
Pure Joy

It all started with Amira.  She’s the 9-year-old girl on the Holland’s Got Talent show who’s amazing and heart-felt rendition of O Mia Babbino Caro stunned the judges, the world ... and me. It was the most thrilling singing event I have ever heard and I was around for the Beatles. To date Amira’s O Mia Babbino Caro YouTube video has nearly 5 million views.

That was in November and I decided Saturday to look for an update. Amira not only won the second round, she took the title with a performance that is nothing short of melodic perfection.

(Please view the videos in order to experience the depth of Amira’s amazing skill and talent.)





I have listened to those videos more than a half dozen times and their effect has been profound, rearranging some endorphins in my brain for sure. Shortly there after my eyes began to see the other joys on my path. Instead of just piles and piles of food I imagine the hundreds of people who give me their donations each and every week.

At the time I took the photo of how close the One Can A Week display table was to the checkout counters at the Sprouts-Oracle store, I did not appreciate the effect my proximity would have. Customers stop and chat easily now.
We all get taken up with the process and we forget to not only smell the roses but consider how incredibly beautiful these flowers are to behold. Every week I am going to listen to Amira sing so I won’t forget that no matter how much we think we know about this amazing planet, we really haven’t seen anything yet.


2nd Truck Load - 2014
Maen Mdanat, owner of the Axis Food Mart started a One Can A Week program in his neighborhood along with his kids, Petra, Rayah and Michael just 8 weeks ago and now he is collecting food every where he turns. Of the total weight we collected this week, Maen accounted for 196 of those pounds. 

This week’s donations amounted to 544 lbs. and included River View Estates, 106 lbs.;  Sprouts (Speedway), 120 lbs.; Sprouts (Oracle), 20 lbs., Lewis Rocca Rothgerber, 46 lbs., and Miles Neighborhood, 162 lbs. + 90 lbs. (Axis Food Mart.) = 252 lbs.

Email from Winter Haven
On Sunday, Suzanne Myal sent me a very pleasant surprise.

"I plan to propose your wonderful "One Can a Week" program to our Winter Haven Village Town Houses (Country Club and Prince area) Board of Directors on Tuesday, January 21st."

Won't know what happened until next week but I sure can't wait to hear back from Suzanne.

We collected a total of 252 lbs. of food. The money we donated amounted to $6.00 in cash.

See you Sunday,

Peter

No comments:

Post a Comment