Monday, December 3, 2012

204th Week Update - Miles Neighborhood Food Collection Project

Hi Folks,

Her Name Was Molly
July 1, 1999 - November 30, 2012

An old fashioned name like Patience might have suited her better but no matter what moniker was chosen for her, her understanding of life on this planet would have been just as keen.

Molly seldom barked, a notable feat for a Westie, but scampering cats and squirrels and dogs trotting wearily beside bicycles triggered a very strong desire to chase after and noisily chastise her prey.

Most other times she would quietly go about her business of sniffing the ground or just sit and wait while I would chat with friends or other folks walking in the park. How long I took was of no concern.

Since Friday night she has been in my thoughts constantly no matter what I was doing. Yes, Molly was 13 and one half years of constant joy in my life but now this is the time to be deeply sad for a little while. A very small due, in deed, for all those years of sunshine.

On Sunday morning while watching Up with Chris Hayes  I came to the realization that we, as humans in our present state, are never going to eliminate hunger. Chris and his guests were in the midst of a spirited discussion on the legalization of marijuana.

Round and round they went comparing the current situation to the history and evolution of alcohol in America. Suddenly the question I had on my side of the computer screen was, “Why is life so intolerable in America that millions upon millions of people need another kind of “fuzzed out” reality just to get by?”  With so many people around the world willing to come to America at any cost you would think otherwise.

I thought of that question because when things got rough or annoying in my life I had Molly to pick up and hold or just to walk around the block as I unclouded my mind. That stabilizing force in my reality always made things get better. 

Unfortunately, what I had with Molly is not anything drinkers and smokers could possible comprehend. They are too busy hiding or anesthetizing the pangs of living on this planet instead of sharing hope and understanding with another creature.

Many times I would grab Molly’s jowls, get nose to nose and stare into her brown, almond shaped eyes. “So what do you think, girl?” I’d say.  “What should I do now?”

Molly would just calmly look back at me as if to say, “I’m not too worried, you’ll think of something.  You always do.”

Right now I’m thinking of all those hungry kids and their parents and those millions upon millions of people who could help but they just can’t get into life on this planet. So hunger goes on. And altered “fuzzed out” realities go on causing us to get little done. But this doesn’t mean we can ever give up on feeding the poor. I had Molly in my life so I saw hope. With Adam, my other Westie, I still see that same hope but it’s a little more rambunctious.


Eye-opening Trip
Since my Cabriolet is still down for the count, I asked Hugh Koepke, Kym’s brother, if he’d like to help me deliver our donation to the Food Bank on Monday. He had the time.

As soon as we pushed the cart through the warehouse door, Hugh stopped and looked around. The enormity of the warehouse gave him pause. After we weighed in I took him on a tour and as luck would have it we ran into Bill Carnegie, the CEO. Gracious as always, Bill answered all of Hugh’s questions about the folks the Food Bank serves and the process those folks go through. 

Even in the car driving back home Hugh was still startled by the number of needy taken care of by the Food Bank. 250,000 people a month was not an easy number for him to digest.

Hugh helps Kym collect on 13th Street
when she has family commitments that
come up now and again on Sunday. But after today’s experience at the Food Bank, I’ll bet he’s thinking about how he can do even more.

We collected a total of 163 lbs. of food. The money we donated amounted to $36.00, a $25.00 check and $11.00 in cash.

See you Sunday,

Peter

No comments:

Post a Comment