Monday, October 29, 2012

199th Week Update - Miles Neighborhood Food Collection Project

Hi Folks,
More Than A Month of Sundays


The first knock on the door was at 11:30 am on Sunday, January 11, 2009. A few minutes later my neighbor Beth said yes and became the first participant in our One Can A Week program.

Since then it has been “a month of Sundays” as my friend Ed Altamirano on Miles reminded me. Actually, it’s been 6.6 months of Sundays. Of course, Week 200 is next week and most folks like to celebrate even numbers but to me 199 just seems to have more weight; more significance.

When this year ends in two months we will have set new donation records in the Miles Neighborhood and the Rincon Market. Same neighborhood and same store with the same consistent participants but the amount of giving increases year after year without mentioning a word of encouragement to anyone. Barbara, Lenny, Kym and I just show up week after week. Isn’t that how it should be? We really don’t have to be told to look out for each other do we?

Chased Down Again Arturo on Miles donates now and then but there is always way more than one can in the shopping bag that hangs on his front gate. Even though there was no bag this Sunday, it must have been one of those “now” days because Arturo drove up to me just before I turned onto Manlove.

I told him I was about to finish up and I would stop by. And there it was the bulging bag on the front gate. You know, I have to say now and then, that’s the perfect way to end a day.

We collected a total of 194 lbs. of food. The money we donated amounted to $59.30, a $50.00 check and $9.35 in cash.

See you Sunday,

Peter

No comments:

Post a Comment