Tuesday, January 3, 2012

156th Week Update - Miles Neighborhood Food Collection Project

Hi Folks,
Little Time, Lots of Food
8 Hours a Week = 9.6 Tons of Food in 2011

4,130 lbs. of food collected in 2011

John, my neighbor on 13th Street walked over to my Cabriolet on Sunday to hand me his can of tuna. I thanked him for the curb service and he sighed, “Retirement is driving me nuts. I’ve got to find something to do.” 

1,893 lbs. of food collected in 2011
He mentioned a few volunteer web sites he visited but he had no idea what he wanted to do. Obviously, seeing me encouraged him to think aloud about his consternation.

Most people consider me retired because of my age and community service commitment but I’m an entrepreneur. And entrepreneurs never stop working until their sun finally sets. I teach computer mostly but I write and take any interesting job I can find. (By the way, being job selective also makes me look retired.)
 
13,249 lbs. of food collected in 2011
A few hours later I thought of John and the mental processes he is experiencing. He’s had a job most of his life so he is thinking “volunteer job” and that thought probably gives his chills because it sounds as boring as retirement itself.

In 2009 when I thought of One Can A Week to help the hungry here in Tucson, my intension was to create a program that was easy on me and easy for others to participate. I like physical repetitive work because it’s a great way to exercise without running or biking to nowhere … and something gets done.

Right now I spend three hours on Sunday visiting my neighbors and picking up food, threes hours Saturday at the Rincon Market countingmoney, talking to Sam Hughes neighbors and shopping, one hour picking up Sunflower’s food and one hour on Monday, delivering the bounty to the Community Food Bank. That totals eight hours a week and tons of weight lifting and walking.

I’m having fun doing what is good for me and as it turns out, my fun is beneficial for lots of other folks, too. That’s what John has to start thinking about and anyone else looking to make a difference. What can he do that he will enjoy and help others at the same time? Jobs aren’t fun but work you like to do sure is.

Off to a Good Start
Although Sunday was New Year’s Day and a lot of neighbors were otherwise occupied, we collected just 4 lbs. under our normal weekly average. Seems the one resolution everyone again in Miles will keep this year is “Feed hungry kids and their families.”

We collected a total of 164 lbs. of food. The money we donated amounted to $35.00, a $25.00 check and $10.00 in cash.

See you Sunday,


Peter

No comments:

Post a Comment