Monday, May 24, 2010

72nd Week Update - Miles Neighborhood Food Collection Project

Hi Folks,

A great way to begin a conversation is to jest a bit. The endorphins flow, the air is charged with positive vibes and folks listen up. So a few months ago in anticipation of being asked to speak about One Can A Week to different groups I began a search on the web for a joke. But not just any joke. It had to be a food joke. Something tasteful and short, like a snack.


Within a few minutes I discovered a web site called OldJewsTellingJokes.com. This web site features some older folks—well, not so much to me because they are all my contemporaries—who stand before a single video camera on a bare stage and tell one joke. They are professional, teachers, executives, anyone who has a funny joke to tell…quickly.

I clicked on Harry Macklowe’s video, a gentleman in real estate and 45 seconds later I had my food joke. http://oldjewstellingjokes.com/post/141301431/harry-macklowe-kleptomaniac-harry-macklowe-is-a#offset:112;0

A husband and his wife went shopping in a supermarket. While the husband shopped, his wife started shoplifting and was caught immediately. In the courtroom the next day, the judge asked the woman what she stole. She said, “a can a peaches.”

The judge asked how many peaches were in the can. The woman responded, “six.”

The judge then said, “That’s it. I am sentencing you to six nights in jail, one night for each peach you stole.”

The woman’s husband who was sitting in the gallery immediately stood up and said, “Your honor, she also stole a can of peas.”

I have told Harry’s food joke to a number of folks and the ending always catches them off guard. Now I know I am ready to talk to any group that is serious about helping me feed the hungry here in Tucson. But we are all going to start off with a smile first.

Things to wear, too
Howard said as I handed him a bag with shoes and other stuff inside, “Sure we take garments now and again. We will give them to one of our partners to distribute.” In addition to the 2 lbs. of clothes, this week we collected 164 lbs. of food including 4 lbs. from the Axis Food Mart and $11.50 in cash.

See you Sunday,

Peter

No comments:

Post a Comment