Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Fifth Week Update - Miles Neighborhood Weekly Food Collection Project

February 9, 2009

Hi Folks,

Thought this Sunday's food collection would be rained out but for a couple of hours the sun came out and so did our neighbors. I collected 78 pounds of food which brings our Miles Neighborhood food donations total for the first month to 226 lbs. Amazing! And since I have only covered about one-third of the neighborhood so far, our donation total will probably be near 1,000 lbs. a month when everyone in the Miles Neighborhood hears about the "one can a week" program. This poundage is significant and let me explain how.

A friend of mine, Mike Bolchalk, founder and president of Bolchalk FReY Marketing, introduced me to Pauline Hechler, Vice President of Development and Jack Parris, Public Relations Manger at the Community Food Bank. We met last Friday morning and the most important and motivating thing I took away from the meeting was something Pauline said.

Prior to the onset of this recession, The Community Food Bank was able to give deserving and hungry families two boxes of food a month. The recent demand is so great that they now can only give one box a month. If the Miles Neighborhood and all of the other neighborhoods in Tucson can donate food weekly, perhaps the Community Food Bank could go back to their two boxes of food a month program. Wouldn't that be something.

I thought I was "fired up and ready to go" before. I now have my sights set on Two Boxes of Food a month. I'm glad all of you are helping me serve my community and we all are helping serve those hungry Tucsonans in need.

Talk to you soon.

Peter

No comments:

Post a Comment